Here’s the latest information on mail delivery for Greater Pine Island (not including Matlacha), according to our Bokeelia Postmaster David G. Moyer:
The Bokeelia and St. James City post offices are returning to normal service as we speak. Carriers are spending the day delivering to the addresses that still have mailboxes.
- It’s important to make sure that there is a clear and clean pathway to your mailbox that is free of debris — especially anything that will cause flat tires.
If you no longer have a mailbox, your mail will automatically be placed on hold, which means that it will be taken back to the local office (Bokeelia or St. James City) and that you will be able to retrieve it there.
- Saint James City Main Post Office, 4480 Stringfellow Rd, 33956 — Operations have resumed. Retail hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed Saturday.
- Bokeelia Post Office, 15980 Stringfellow Rd, 33922 — Operations have resumed. Retail hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed Saturday.
Your rural letter carriers and entire staff at each office are working diligently to alleviate the backlogs caused by Hurricane Ian over the next few days, so please have patience.
As you may have heard, the Pineland Post Office suffered from storm surge.
- Pineland’s mail is now being routed through the Bokeelia Office and is available for collection during normal business hours. This includes mail and packages that had been delivered to the P.O. Boxes prior to Hurricane Ian.
Please be sure to bring appropriate photo identification to collect your mail.
Please note that the Matlacha Post Office is a contract office run through the Fort Myers Postmaster. We’ll provide an update about deliveries there as soon as we have information to share.
- GPICA suggests that if you know your mail cannot be delivered that you wait until later in the day or until Monday to retrieve it from the post office to ensure that your mail isn’t on the road with the letter carriers.