Residents with unanswered questions about post-Hurricane Ian cleanup and recovery are invited to attend the February meeting of the Greater Pine Island Civic Association, which will be hosting Lee County staff.
- The meeting will take place at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 7, at the Pine Island United Methodist Church, 5701 Pine Island Road NW, Bokeelia, FL 33922.
- The meeting will also be livestreamed to the GPICA Facebook page for those who cannot attend in person. www.facebook.com/PineIslandCivicAssociation
Lee County Commissioner Kevin Ruane, Lee staff and FEMA and state Division of Emergency Management officials attended the January meeting and provided information on everything from housing to debris cleanup. Because residents still had questions at the end of the two-plus hour January meeting, the GPICA board has invited Lee County Staff back for the February meeting. (Commissioner Ruane will be meeting with Florida legislators in Tallahassee and is unable to attend.)
The GPICA will also hold elections for its Board of Directors. Current nominees for the three open seats on the board are Helen Fox, current Board President; Michael Sweeney, current Board Treasurer; former Board member Tim Heitz, of Bokeelia; and GPICA member Jette Smith, of Matlacha. Those who have been GPICA members for at least 30 days and are in good standing and current in their dues may vote in the election. Nominees from the floor will also be accepted before the vote.
Other items on the agenda for the February meeting include:
An update from Development Committee Chair Deb Swisher-Hicks. She will provide:
- An update on the recent meeting before the Lee County Hearing Examiner on the proposal to turn the former Pine Island Chamber of Commerce building on Pine Island Road into a used car lot and what’s next in the process;
- An update on the proposed self-storage facility behind Publix;
- An update on a proposed landscape business on Stringfellow Road
GPICA advisor Noel Andress will provide an overview on the Lee County Capital Improvement Plan — specifically the projects planned for greater Pine Island.
As always, GPICA Members and nonmembers are invited to attend the meeting. Nonmembers may also join the GPICA in person before the meeting or online anytime at www.GPICA.org/join.