GPICA February Meeting to Feature Red Tide Study, Community Issues and More
The Greater Pine Island Civic Association (GPICA) will hold its next monthly general meeting at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2021, via Zoom. Please save the date!
The featured speaker will be Dr. Michael Mullan, Executive Director of the Sarasota-based Roskamp Institute. The nonprofit Roskamp Institute is dedicated to understanding and treating diseases of the mind, such as alzheimers.
Dr. Mullan will discuss a current study the Institute is conducting with the Gulf of Mexico Coastal Ocean Observing System (GCOOS.org) focused on determining whether exposure to the toxins in Florida red tides can increase the incidence of neurological symptoms in susceptible individuals. The $400,000 study is funded by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS). The researchers are seeking volunteers from Pine Island to provide blood and urine samples for the study.
- Learn more about the study here
- The Roskamp Institute will be bringing its mobile unit to Pine Island to collect samples from Island residents on Feb. 13. The mobile unit will be at the Pine Island Methodist Church, 5701 Pine Island Rd. NW, Bokeelia, Fla., 33922. (Across the street from the fire station.) Volunteers need to be pre-screened. If you’d like to volunteer to participate in the study, please call the Institute at 941-256-8018, ext. 3008.
Dr. Mullan’s presentation will include Q&A and be followed by the GPICA’s other agenda items:
- Board Member Helen Fox will present the results of the GPICA Community Issues Survey tracking area residents’ concerns facing our community.
- Bokeelia resident Jeff Waller will provide an update on WINK News’ proposed 110-foot Doppler radar tower in St James City.
- The GPICA will also hold our annual Board of Directors election. Five seats are open. Nominees are current Board members Helen Fox, Tim Heitz, Debbie Memoli and Scott Wilkinson. New Nominee is Bokeelia resident Mike Sweeney. Nominations from the floor may be made before the vote. Please note that candidates must be current GPICA members in good standing and have been a member for at least six months. Voters must also be current members and have been a member for at least 60 days.